I have had problems sleeping this week and so have been able to watch more of the Olympics than ever before. Now I come to think of it, I haven’t watched the past three Olympics, as I have always been away on holiday. I was in Mexico in 2012 and on a cruise in 2008 and 2004. So it has made a nice change to catch up on some of the sports that I wouldn’t usually watch.
And I have some random thoughts about the coverage that I have seen just recently.
1. For instance is it me or is Judo just a game of tug of war without the rope.
2. Or what about fencing? I mean it’s not the Three Musketeers is it?
3. I tell you something, I wouldn’t want to meet any of the ladies Canadian rugby sevens on a night out; they are bruisers and clattered our GB girls something awful.
4. I watched quite a few table tennis matches and was amazed by the convoluted serves the players came up with. I honestly don’t see the point of them as they did not deceive any of their opponents, who were all able to return their serves.
5. Maybe they should invent a new sport for the next Olympics; who can come up with the most intricate and complicated serve. I think that it could be a hit!
6. And I laughed out loud- you couldn’t have made this up;
Ding Ling from Beijing won the ladies table tennis gold medal!
7. Beach volley ball if I remember last year got a lot of attention because it was held in the middle of London rather than at a beach!
8. However most people watch it because of the bikinis that the ladies wear. Well this year I don’t mean to be mean but some of the body shapes looked grotesque and out of synch with human physiology. It was as though I was looking at them through a carnival mirror, which is made to distort the human body. I have to admit not being impressed although I haven’t seen any of the male counterparts so I’m looking forward to that!
9. Archery has moved on hasn’t it since Robin Hood and the good old long bow! What contraptions they use and they have a spotter as well! The bows look as if they have taken steroids! I wonder just how much is it the case of the man or the machine that sends the arrow flying.
10. As for the swimming; I now know all the words to the Star- Spangled Banner!
11. Oh and I want one of the USA coats- they are fantastic. However I don’t think that I’d wear it to go swimming. I’d feel just a tad over dressed!
12. Another thought was why do the swimmers bring back packs onto to the side of the swimming pool? Unless they carry inflatable life jackets!
13. I also wondered why the divers take their towels into the showers with them. They get wet!! Aren’t towels supposed to get you dry?
14. And as for the flirting between Mark and Becky; I don’t care if it is fake! It is so entertaining and Helen you wear what you want girl because it is what comes out of your mouth that is important and some of your comments are pure genius.
15.These three are the best presenters on at the moment.
And finally having not seen BBC coverage of the Olympics for such a long time I am impressed by all the presenters; Claire Balding is so natural! All of them have given us just enough facts delivered with warmth and humour. Excellent!
For all my mickey- taking (only funning!) I just want to say that I have great respect for all of the participants of the Rio 2016 Olympics, in whatever sport they belong to. I salute your dedication, determination, perseverance, sacrifice and talent. Long may you reign!